Friday, May 10, 2013

Lost Coast Brewery, Indica IPA

Lost Coast Brewery, Indica: American IPA (India Pale Ale) Style, 6.5% ABV

After spending Cinco De Mayo weekend drinking Corona's and Margaritas I decided I needed something with a kick. I'm not saying I don't enjoy a good Vienna Style Beer with some lime and salt, I just needed a beer that didn't just flow down my gullet like a glass of water. I needed a brew that would kick my taste buds on the way down. I needed Hops and Malts, I needed something crafted not mass produced. In other words it was time for an American IPA.

Since the Lost Coast Indica IPA was one of the few beers left in my fridge and since it was the only one I haven't yet reviewed, it was the perfect choice. When I poured it into my glass I noticed its' large white foamy head that left a nice lace along my glass. The dark amber color contrasted by the thick foam had me in delight that this beer was going to be a good change and one that I will drink slower than the coronas I had been pounding down. As the foam settled I was treated to Indica's nice malty aroma. I also noticed hints of citrus and spice with each inhale. No need to add a slice of lemon or lime in that glass. Taking my first drink I was pleased by the caramel malts balanced by the citrus and floral flavors of the hops. It was bitter but not over powering, it is a very well balanced beer. Swallowing my next drink I was pleased with how smooth and creamy this IPA felt in my mouth. The aftertaste was not as bitter or hoppy as other IPAs but did have enough there to enjoy without over taking the sweet malts it proceeded. Over all this is a very good American Style IPA.

I paired my glass with a creamy chicken and pasta dish I made by using Campell's Cheese Soup. (A similar recipe can be found here)  The smooth creamy mouthfeel complimented the cheese well the biter hoppiness helped cleanse my taste buds for more cheesy chicken and pasta. Great combo.


No comments:

Post a Comment