Monday, May 20, 2013

Klamath Basin Vanilla Porter

Klamath Basin Brewing Co., Vanilla Porter, 6.7% ABV

It was an unusually cold spring day when I decided to do two things; First was to start a fire and warm up the house, Second was equally important and that was to warm my insides. So after the fire was well on it way to providing heat I cracked open Klamath Basin Brewing Company's Vanilla Porter. Normally I reserve Porters and Stouts for the fall and winter but it just seemed right to welcome a cold day with a dark warm rich beer.

The head on the porter was thick and had good retention. The smell was sweet with hints of vanilla and malts. I took my first drink not knowing what to expect, so many "Vanilla Porters" fall short by using only small amounts extract but, Klamath Basin Brewing  advertises that they actually use the vanilla bean. It was smooth, not really creamy, with a medium body and lingering taste. It's taste is that of chocolate, coffee, with vanilla and some very slight hint of smoke. The vanilla was subtle and not overpowering, my guess is that's because they used the bean and not extract.

I'd match this beer with a good medium spicy Chile or roast beef dinner. It's not a beer you'd  want to drink too fast so I'd stick to comfort foods that don't require something light to cleanse the pallet. This beer acts better as a compliment to rich flavors rather than a contrast to them. Better yet, sit down in front of a fire with a bit of chocolate and a glass of Klamath Falls Vanilla Porter for a real treat for dessert.


No comments:

Post a Comment