Monday, April 15, 2013

Portland Brewing: ZigZag Lager


Portland Brewing, ZigZag Lager: Lager (American Domestic),5.1% ABV, 1pint 6 oz

Let me just start this off by stating that I have been a big fan of Portland Brewing since my first MacTarnahan's...and with Pyramid ownership of them I was happy since I love their hefeweizen. So writing this isn't easy but I have to be honest....here it goes.

The nose on this beer is very light with very little hint of any hops.
From the first mouthful I realized that this beer was lacking something, in fact it lacked balance and depth. It was watery and reminded me of something, I couldn't figure out what. So after making my wife taste it, she hit it on the nose and it came to me as well, "taste like a Coors". Sadly she was right. The warmer the lager got the harder it was to drink, it reminded me of everything I dislike about so called Domestic Beers. I was sadly disappointed and have to admit, I did not finish it.

This may be the perfect transition beer, that is often talked about, that will get domestic drinkers to move from Bud, Miller, or Coors to craft beers but, as for myself....I have to say sadly, "Don't Taste This Beer".

If you already have and disagree with me then tell me why I'm wrong. 



No comments:

Post a Comment