Thursday, April 11, 2013

Brown Shugga

Lagunitas Brown Shugga 2012: Winter Ale, 9.9% ABV, 12 oz

This might just be the best year for Brown Shugga to date.... Ok so about 7 years ago my friend Justin offered me one, I accepted seeing how excited he was about them, but to my disappointment I didn't like it at all. That years tasted like cold medicine filtered through used coffee grounds. I never thought this product would last. I was wrong, really wrong. Being the beer-venturist I am, I continued to try Brown Shugga every year since. With that said I profess that with every year they have improved the recipe and in 2012 they perfected it. In fact after tasting it I bought 2 cases (wholesale of coarse). So as I sit down and enjoy the last of my stock I felt inspired to start writing on my Beer Blog again.

Back to the beer: Brown Shugga has a nice rich malt taste that lingers in your mouth while warming your stomach with it's high alcohol content. It's roasted caramel flavor and slight hop character make it a perfect after dinner drink. This beer was to be enjoyed slowly and not pounded down. As far a it's nose holds, well you'd expect that it would be over powering since 9.9% is pretty high but it is surprisingly mild for it's weight.

Ok I know it may be a little late to run out and grab a six pack but if you happen to see one in the back of your friends fridge, bypass the spring beers and tell them you'll be celibrating the winter that passed. And definitely add Brown Shugga to your late year shopping list.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment