Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Wise


The Wise, ESB (Extra Special Bitter): English Style Bitter, 5.9% ABV, 39 IBU, 22 oz Bottle

Brewed by Elysian Brewing

Being inspired of late by various friends, I have finally decided to sit down and review another beer. So after making the trip down to the basement, into the Kegerator, I found myself having to make a choice. As some of you may know I keep a variety of bottled beers on hand. Seeing that I just had a bit of dessert sweetness was on my mind, I choose The Wise.

At first poor you will notice its amazing dark copper color and white head. The Nose is very subtle and very much ruled by its malts while giving just hints of its hops with the slightest biscuit aroma. The taste is sweet with an unexpected light mouthfeel and backed astringent feel of being slightly hoppy. The bitterness of this beer is not overpowering, as you will find with many IPA’s, it serves more as an after thought to the sweet malt flavors.

Although I am enjoying this beer without food, I would suggest combining this brew together with a steak or grilled portabella mushroom (I don’t eat red meat). Maybe even a good Sheppard’s pie (vegetarian in my case).

This brew is great beer when, like some of us, you’ve been to one too many Hop Festivals and you’re kind of tired of extremely bitter beers.


Next Beer: ?

No comments:

Post a Comment