Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Trois Pistoles (Three Coins)


Trois Pistoles (Three Coins): Strong Dark Ale, 9% ABV, 1pint 9.4 oz

The aroma was of malt with a hint of ripened fruit. The flavor was very robust with a nice sweet fruit background, it reminded me of raisons. Once again this brewery is great at hiding its alcohol profile, it's hard to believe that it's a big beer.

The brewery suggests drinking this beer after dinner as they feel it’s an ideal companion to desert, artisan chocolate to be exact. I decided to take their word for it and armed myself with the Toblerone Swiss Milk Chocolate and Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate Raspberry Filling squares. It was movie night so I figured why not.

First I tried it with the Troblerone, it was a good pairing, not great but good. The sweetness and fruit flavors seemed to go well with the smooth chocolate. Then I tried it with the Ghirardelli raspberry filled squares, wow, the robust coffee and fruit flavors of the beer mixed perfectly with the smooth sweet taste of raspberry. It reminded me of when Max Tieger, former brewer at Tuck’s & Max’s Fanno Creek, made a Framboise and refused to serve me a glass unless I drank it mixed with a Stout. Great combination of flavors!

I suggest if you plan on trying this beer you pick up some chocolate to pair it with.

1 comment:

  1. I do like Max's Framboise. Yum Yum. These cheapers Canadian Belgium rip offs are all pretty tasty. Not a bad beer for around $6 to $8. Good ABV.

    ReplyDelete